Tuesday, June 4, 2013

SIMMER DINNER WINNER - Arlene Aughey - Lamb Skillet Dinner!

  I live in Saddle Brook, New Jersey, a suburban town in northern New Jersey only 12 miles away from New York City.  My career was in NYC, where I worked as a free-lance court reporter.  Now retired, I enjoy my family - hubby, George (on the left), 2 grown daughters, 4 beautiful grandchildren, and a variety of dogs and cats between them and us!   

I have always been environmentally conscious, which of course leads one to being health-conscious, and have always been a supporter of environmental and animal welfare organizations.  Having always had a garden - never using pesticides, of course! - I do enjoy cooking and trying out different recipes.  I especially enjoy using whole grains, fresh veggies, and herbs.  I prefer lamb to most other meats, and think that just broiling is boring, so many years ago, I got the idea of simmering some chops gently in fresh tomatoes and veggies from the garden, and serving it over a bed of rice.  It came out quite well, so it went into my recipe box!

I became aware of Silver Palate products from first seeing an advertisement for Grain Berry Oatmeal, which was right up my alley, being a natural healthy whole grain.  There was a coupon on the box to try out another of your products, and so we searched for Silver Palate in the store, discovered your tomato sauces, and voila - tried it out with my Lamp Skillet Dinner, and it added another layer of delicious flavors to the dish.

I have since then purchased your Grain Berry Honey Nut Toasted Oats for my grandkids, who love it, and have also tried out your Grain Berry Pancake and Waffle Mix, to which I added a can of creamed corn for the liquid, and served for dinner with warm maple syrup and slices of leftover ham.  (You can see I am not afraid to be a creative cook!)  They were absolutely delicious.  And of course your oatmeal is my standard Wintertime breakfast.

WINNING RECIPE!
Lamb Skillet Dinner
This is a great easy, healthy and delicious meal!

INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons oil
4 lamb chops
1 large onion chopped
1 garlic clove minced
1 cup celery chopped
1/2 teaspoon basil
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 jar Silver Palate Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
1/2 cup water

DIRECTIONS:
In large skillet, melt butter & oil.
Sauté and brown chops on both sides.
Add all other ingredients and simmer for about 25-30 minutes, until lamb is tender.  
Serve spooned over cooked rice and enjoy!